Resettlement village

Mainar is located on the Huerva Plains, along the old Camino Real a Madrid (Royal Road to Madrid), where the outline of the slender Mudejar tower of the Santa Ana church is silhouetted on the horizon.

The powerful dimensions of this Renaissance building predominate the views of Mainar, a town whose origins can be linked to the resettlement activities of Alfonso I the Battler, making it a place where the Islamic presence was limited.

The church dedicated to Saint Ann is a Renaissance building on which construction began in 1544 by order of Archbishop Hernando de Aragon, to enlarge the previous church. The work would finally be completed in 1576.

Of the original church, only the San Antonio and Santa Ana chapels remain. Both the church and the tower façades are decorated with protruding brick details, clearly in the Mudejar tradition, leading some scholars to assert that this is one of the latest examples of construction in this style.

The tower, a hallmark of the Mudejar style

The Mudejar tower, with its octagonal base and six sections decreasing in size as they go up, marked by arrises that act as buttresses, is decorated with Mudejar motifs like angled brick, diamond shapes, double round arches and ceramic elements at the top. The bottom of the tower is decorated with an unusual motif based on combining crosses and diamond shapes in relief.  Also striking is that it is finished with a blue glazed tile dome that has become one of the town’s defining features.

Inside, the single nave is covered by a beautiful star rib vault illuminated by large windows around the top of the walls. At the west end of the church, a high choir resting on columns was built, and the chancel houses a monumental Baroque altarpiece. Highly interesting works of art are kept here, such as the beautiful 15th century Gothic sculpture of San Blas de Sebaste on the throne.

In addition, Mainar has two peirones, or wayside crosses: that of the Virgen del Pilar, on the old road to Torralbilla, and that of San Andrés, on the road to Codos, opposite the chapel of the same name.

Information

City council: 976 807 001

WOULD YOU LIKE TO LEARN MORE?
Zaragoza Provincial Tourism Office
www.turismodezaragoza.es
Zaragoza Provincial Tourism Office
turismo.comarcadedaroca.com
Centro de Estudios Darocenses
ifc.dpz.es
Centro de Estudios del Jiloca
www.xiloca.org

Territorio Mudéjar Network

The city council has been a registered member of Territorio Mudéjar since December 2019.

Mainar in the social media

Facebook: @TurismoComarcadeDaroca
Instagram: @turismodaroca