Land of wine and oil
A land of wine and oil, the ancient Caravi is perched atop the Castillo and Cabezo hills, a testimony to its defensive origins, and it bears the marks of its Iberian, Roman, Arab and Jewish past.
One of the symbols of its identity is the chapel of Nuestra Señora de la Huerta, an old Mudejar church in which part of the outer walls and an elegant seven-sided polygonal apse remain intact – one of just two of its kind in Aragon.
The temple was built in the mid-14th century and has delicate protruding brick ornamentation covering the polygonal apse. The large windows are decorated with plaster latticework forming geometric and plant shapes. The walls were originally painted, and remains of the painted brickwork technique can still be found. Adjacent to the church is the former Dominican convent building, constructed in the early 17th century.
Example of inherited identity
In the highest part of the town stands the San Lorenzo church. Constructed over the ruins of an ancient castle, it commands a view of the entire Huecha Valley. Of the former castle, all that remains is the keep, which is now a part of the San Lorenzo church bell tower. Although there are no documents to tell us when construction of the castle began, it is dated between 1130 and 1200, forming part of the Aragonese line of defense.
In turn, the San Lorenzo church is late Gothic in style, built adjoining a previous religious building, the chapel of Nuestro Señor Crucificado. Inside, at the west end, it is astounding to see that the Mudejar style chancel of the former temple remains intact, preserved, along with the lower section of the tower, when the new church was built. Also of note is the 17th century Baroque altarpiece, some of the canvases of which were painted by Vicente Berdusán.
It is worth taking a stroll around the arcades of Plaza de España in Magallán, visiting the Baroque Rosario chapel and the palace that currently houses the city hall. This space continues to host a weekly market, following a long tradition.